Monday, June 4, 2012

Jackie's Pick... Rodenbach Grand Cru Flanders Red

Now, it's been so long since I had tried this beer (years and years) that I honestly forgot what it tasted like.  I purchased it on faith that my taste bud memory was still accurate, if not specific.  All I could remember was "gooood".  I'm so glad that I went with my gut, errr... mouth, because this beer is simply delicious but in no means simple.  Rodenbach Grand Cru is a blend of 1/3 young beer and 2/3 of beer aged for 2 years in vats of oaken wood.  The oak matured beer brings a fruity taste, complex and intense, (I get mostly cherries), in the front and slight pleasant funkiness with the most refreshingly tart-dry finish.  Not over the top sour, however.  This beer is drinkable, drinkable, drinkable.  It's surprising to note that there is no actual fruit thrown in during the brewing process.  All the fruitiness comes from the blend of yeasts.  Amazing brew.  Not likely to forget this one again.


No comments:

Post a Comment